This weekend was Zillafest 2013! What is a Zillafest? Well to start with this is a Zilla:
It was his birthday and so we threw a party, not just any party but one that impacts countless people’s lives. Instead of getting gifts on his birthday he asks all his friends to either make a dish, or donate so that we can all go out to the park and feed the less fortunate. The week or so leading up to Zillafest the guys go out to the neighboring areas and hand out fliers letting people know. This has been going on now for several years, what fun! This year I teamed up with my friend Theresa , you may recognize her from this post, and we made a big double batch of Mac and Cheese for this event. I have never made mac and cheese that wasn’t out of a box, I know I know, but now I have, and like with other things I’ve made from scratch I will never go back to the mac and cheese in a box!
Theresa’s Baked Mac And Cheese
8 oz macaroni
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups cheddar cheese
½ cup breadcrumbs, buttered
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook and drain pasta al dente according to package and set aside
3. In a large pan melt the butter. Add the flour, salt and pepper, mix until well blended
4. Gradually pour in the milk and cream, stirring constantly
5. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Add shredded cheese, little by little. Once all the cheese is added, cook for 5 more minutes, or until all the cheese is melted.
7. Add macaroni to the pan with the cheese sauce. Toss to coat and transfer the mac and cheese to a buttered baking dish (I used an 8×8)
8. Sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs (just melt butter, add to the breadcrumbs, and mix). Bake for 20 minutes, it will be bubbly and delicious!
It was so good even the Pastasaurus tried to eat some!!!