First let me tell you two things; one, you need to be 21 to get cooking sherry in my state and two, I was nervous about eating bok choy. The reason I was so nervous stems from an incident a couple of years ago when I tried sushi for the first time. You have no idea how pumped I was to eat sea weed, you don’t even have to tell me how strange that is, trust me, I know. Needless to say when I didn’t like sea weed it kind of ruined the entire sushi experience, and I haven’t been able to eat it again. I like to try foods that I’ve never eaten before so I decided to throw caution to the wind and hope bok choy didn’t disappoint me like the sea weed did. If you are wondering, which I’m sure you are, I loved bok choy. The recipe came from a book I bought years ago when I worked at a book store, it’s called; The complete cookbook: Stir Fry. It is still apparently available on amazon!
Beef with Bok Choy
1 bunch of bok choy
oil for cooking
2 gloves garlic, crushed
8 oz rump steak thinly sliced (I found of beef stir fry meat that I used)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet sherry
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp sesame oil
1. Was bok choy and drain. Cut leaves into wide strips and stems into thin strips. Heat wok until very hot, add 1 tbsp oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic, stir fry for 30 seconds
2. Add another tbsp of oil and then in batches the meat. Stir fry 3 minutes over high heat where meat has browned but not cooked through. Remove from wok.
3. Add bok choy to the wok and stir fry for 30 seconds or until just wilted.
Add the meat, soy sauce and sherry. Stir fry 2-3 minutes until meat is tender.
Look at all that steam!
4. Add the basil and sesame oil, toss well and serve immediately.
**I served this over rice, and also had it the next day for leftovers and it was very good!
I’ve kind of been on a cookie kick lately, especially if the cookies come from a cake mix! The last cookie that I made was the strawberry lemonade cookies. It was a pleasant surprise when I was looking at one of my favorite blogs, Sally’s Baking Addiction, and she had a recipe for strawberry chocolate chip cookies! Exactly what the girls’ night that I was going to needed, it was like chocolate covered strawberry, who doesn’t love those? Not only are these delicious summer cookies, but they could also be used for a cute Valentine’s day gift. When I made the other cake batter cookies I noticed the dough was really sticky, and for me personally I don’t care much for that so I added a little flour to this recipe. Needless to say it was a huge hit, and super quick to make. By the time the oven was done preheating the cookies were mixed and ready to go straight into the warm oven, so it might be a great idea to have some chocolate chips and strawberry cake mix always on hand for any last minute get togethers.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 box of strawberry cake mix
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. In the first bowl mix together all the dry ingredients; cake mix, flour, and baking powder and set aside. In a separate bowl, all the remaining ingredients minus the chocolate chips, whisk together the wet and dry ingredients. Make sure to break up any clumps that might happen, I notice this tends to happen with prepackaged mixes.
3. After the ingredients are well mixed, fold in the chocolate chips. I sometimes prefer smaller cookies, so about 1 to 1 ½ tbsps. worth of dough is rolled into balls and dropped onto a cookie sheet.
4. If you make cookies that are smaller than the original recipe calls for bake for 6-8 minutes. Or 8-10 minutes for larger cookies.
Some other easy cookie recipes to try
Flourless peanut butter cookies (gluten free!)
Strawberry Lemonade cookies
Lemon Sugar cookies